On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM, John Plocher <john.ploc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Edward Ned Harvey,
>
> Please, before you condemn everyone who uses the Jive forums as being l0sers
> and id10t's, go and use it yourself to post a day's worth of mail replies.
> Find out *for yourself* how hard or easy it is to actually live life the way
> you are preaching, because, in the end, unless you walk in their shoes and
> show thru your actions that you merit people's respect, nobody gives a damn
> what you have to say.  Most of us here have lived with Jive's foibles long
> enough to realize that there is a fundamental conceptual flaw in trying to
> gateway between a forum where the entire thread history is presented in the
> user interface in the order it was generated, and where quoted text is
> discouraged and bad form and a mail thread where those things are explicitly
> not true.  In other words, it isn't Jive's fault, nor is it the Jive user's
> fault - from their perspective, they don't see the problem.  It is only you,
> who chose to use a deficient user interface (mail) to follow their
> conversation, who has the problem....
>
>   -John

First, I apologize for any double postings, but apparently Gmail was
listed in one of the spam lists earlier today as my earlier message
was rejected thanks to a blacklist.

As a user, by choice, of a "deficient user interface" to participate
in these discussions, I am offended by your tone and assertion. As a
sometimes user of the Jive forums, I find your assertions as to the
proper etiquette of not quoting preposterous and misinformed.

Mr. Harvey is correct - if you do not quote the message to which you
are replying, the only people who will have any clue as to what you
are referring are the users of the Jive forum. That is not an opinion,
but a fact.

It has been stated before, but it bears repeating, if the Jive forum
to mail list gateway can not properly handle quoting, then it should
either be fixed, replaced or disabled and the two should be separated.

fpsm