Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Obviously the issue the community has is that we've never had the ability to
> produce the distribution itself. We don't have the ability to build all the
> packages that go into the IPS repo, nor produce the Live CD, nor do we have
> an installer. And of course, finding people to do the actual work would
> present a significant challenge.

You should be able to build the LiveCD using the distribution constructor, if
you had a complete set of packages (so you can do this for 134 now, but not
yet for later builds).   I also don't understand why you say you have no
installer when the Caiman project installers are all fully open.

Building the packages is probably the biggest technical challenge, especially
since right now a bunch of packages are still converted from SVR4 originals that
aren't publicly released - but since the results are released under licenses
that allow redistribution, you can use the existing ones until you develop the
ability to build replacements.

Fortunately, building the 4 biggest consolidations (ON, SFW, JDS, X) will give
you a majority of the packages from the "WOS" (i.e. the bits that used to be
installed by the SXCE installers - not including the traditionally "unbundled"
bits also in the repos like NetBeans, OpenOffice, Studio compilers, etc.) and
the majority of the sources to those consolidations are open.  (100% in the case
of X & SFW.)   ON, X, & JDS can be built directly into IPS package format today
from the externally released sources, leaving SFW & the smaller consolidations
for running through the SVR4->IPS conversion process.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com