On 7/14/2010 7:11 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
>> The community needs to be able to prevent moves into a direction that is
>> aparently driven by customers but against the will of the majority of the
>> users
>> and the community needs to be able to put back their developments results.
>
> That will only happen if the community makes its own fork.  Neither Sun
> nor Oracle would put the community "wishes" ahead of customer requirements,
> nor do I know of any successful open source OS driven by majority votes of
> users.

While understand that there are good reasons for wanting totally ditch
the Oracle provided infrastructure here, I wonder if that's really needed.

Obviously Solaris is a commercial product owned by Oracle, and no-one
but Oracle is going to control whats in the code repository it's built
from. Likewise, whether we like it or not, the build and distribution of
OpenSolaris code that is named OpenSolaris is also under Oracle's total
control.

What I've wondered about for a while is why can't (under the existing
rules) a new project be created whose sole purpose is to create (build
and make available for download) a new distribution from the source
repositories (which are still being updated by Oracle.) Is there
anything in the rules that prohibits this be done right here at OS.org?

Does the infrastructure exist for this type of project? (Servers to do
the compilation? bandwidth for the files to be downloaded?)

If this distribution were available from the OpenSolaris.org website (on
the project's page?) Is it allowed to contain the closed binaries?

Of course this only resumes the availability of the dev builds, but that
is a good start I think.

Another thing I've wondered about is, would the current rules allow us
to within this project or another clone the hg repository, and create
the equivalent of an 'Community ARC' to review the changes made to the
Oracle repositories, and whether or not the community wants to accept
and merge them into the Community Repo.

I've always felt that what this community needs isn't really a 'fork'
but instead a common source base that *all* the distributions (even
Oracle's OpenSolaris) both pull from and contribute back to.

Of course the community doesn't have any way of forcing Oracle to push
it's changes out any further than it's repository, so as alan said, the
community would have to pull the changes they want. Depending ont the
changes the community and other distributions make to the source base,
Oracle (if they find changes they want) may in the long run, find it
easier to present it's changes to the community for acceptance into the
community source, since it will make merging later community out easier.

Then again, maybe I'm just dreaming here...

  -Kyle