----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Gunderson <kgund...@teamcool.net>
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:34 pm
Subject: Re: [osol-discuss] Community distro, teamwork and being clear
To: opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org
> +1 from me as well.  Sometime back I communicated same to Joerg
> privately.  I don't code but am fairly seasoned sysadmin so there's
> bound to be some thankless but necessary dirty work along those lines
> that needs doing.  If so, feel free to give me a holler.

Here is a thankless task, you will love it. :-)

There were changes in the usr/src/cmd/sgs/rtld area just recently and I see in
the README file that is says this :

  The SUNWonld package is an internal development package containing the
  link-editors and some related tools.  All components live in the OSNET
  source base, but not all components are delivered as part of the normal
  OSNET consolidation.  The intent of this package is to provide access
  to new features/bugfixes before they become generally available.

  General link-editor information can be found:

    http://linkers.central/
    http://linkers.sfbay/       (also known as linkers.eng)

  Comments and Questions:

    Contact Rod Evans, Ali Bahrami, and/or Seizo Sakurai.

Of course those links are internal addresses inside the Oracle pits and not
avail to the "community". This is primarily because there is no open source
concept inside there and these people don't even think in terms of "community"
and docs and information is not going to be posted in place where people can
get to. Why? Who cares why.  I don't.

If you want a thankless job maybe you could drag these people out into the
light of the opensolaris-discuss list and perhaps get them to explain whats up
with these changes and where are those docs for the community ?

It is interesting to see this however :

Solaris 10 XXXX (10th Q-update - s10u10)
Bugid   Risk Synopsis
6478684 isainfo/cpuid reports pause instruction not supported on amd64
        PSARC/2010/089 Removal of AV_386_PAUSE and AV_386_MON
All the above changes are incorporated in the following patches:
        Solaris/SunOS 5.10_sparc        patch TXXXXXX-XX
        Solaris/SunOS 5.10_x86          patch TXXXXXX-XX

Update 10 ? Really ?

The marketing people at ORacle are worse than the ones at Sun. We have no clue
when an update is coming or a damn thing but at least there are readme files
that leak out from time to time.

> P.S.; Dennis, it would also be great if whatever you're using to
> respond didn't break/divide the threads.

Sorry about that ... I have a new postfix server going in soon and then I'll
switch over to thunderbird/seamonkey permanently.

Dennis