On 08/16/10 03:36 AM, Nikola M. wrote:
On 08/14/10 03:41 PM, Orvar Korvar wrote:
All source code will be available after binary update of Solaris 11 Express have been released. Then Illumos will have a chance to catch up and synchronize. As FreeBSD.
I would like it to be that way, but..
..they clearly indicate that code releases will happen Only after "full releases of our enterprise Solaris " that means Solaris 11, NOT Solaris Express, that is only in binary form. If releases will follow Solaris Express releases, that would be preferable and allow of open source user and developer community to spread (and contribute), beside closed Solaris users crowd.

I see it they will release source after a binary release. They cannot release a binary without releasing the source per CDDL. They would have to fork the code to a new license to do that.

We will distribute updates to approved CDDL or other open source-
licensed code following full releases of our enterprise Solaris
operating system. In this manner, new technology innovations will
show up in our releases before anywhere else. We will no longer
distribute source code for the entirety of the Solaris operating
system in real-time while it is developed, on a nightly basis.
Anyway, anyone who will continue to use Solaris Express after migrating from Opensolaris, should not be fooled to use open source OS and will get proprietary system in binary form instead.

And Solaris 11 as full proprietary will, MAYBE, have CDDL source releases for already-licensed and changed source code, but only what they want to release and with no obligation to do so.

**Internal memo that is leaked is hardly an official statement, neither willing obligation to release code indefinitely).