> From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Joerg Schilling
>
> I have no problems if patents do what they have been designed for.
> Allow to
> claim patent rights for personal inventors to prevent companies from
> using the
> invention wihout paying for it.

I don't think that's what patents "have been designed for."

I think patents allow any entity, including individuals or organizations, to
prevent any other entity, including individuals or organizations, from using
the invention without paying for it.

I haven't heard any compelling argument to limit patent ownership to
individuals, nor to limit patent lawsuit complaints to just companies.  Even
if there were such an argument, it doesn't really seem to matter, does it.
This whole conversation is just an off-topic tangent.