Thank you for the suggestion xanadu as I write this from my fully booted
OpenSolaris installation, problem isn't solved but since richardg mentioned
boot managers I found a free third-party boot manager called OSL2000, installed
it and as if by magic, the boot options were right there.
As this boot manager reports, both Win and OSol boot from the first partitions
of their physical disks on which they reside. There's nothing on MBR but the
blinking GRUB cursor.
I would imagine that a simple redirection in menu.lst will do the trick. Though
I might be wrong.