Oh sure, *obviously* you'll never prevent copying completely.  But that's a
straw man - the difference here is between making life difficult for the
thieves (as Apple does - sufficiently so that the jailbreak/piratebay applet
market is no threat to iPhone developers) and leaving the doors and windows
open and unlocked as the Lindens are at the moment with their current Open
Source model.

OK, we can argue about this philosophically backwards and forwards all you
want.  The big difference is that whilst you may contribute the odd patch,
I, and other content creators like me pay the Lindens salary.  As I say I
have three sims - a couple of homesteads supported by content sales and a
full sim which has on it one of the more popular spots in SL - again
supported by content sales there.  So approximately USD$600 per month to the
lab in total via myself, plus all the marginal payments from people being in
world because I'm providing entertainment.  Realistically say USD$10,000+
per annum to the lab?

Now I don't have great margins on this - sims are expensive - but it's
relaxing and fun to build, and I have a sufficiently positive cash-flow that
I continue.  I've no great attachment to SL either though - bottom line is
if I start losing money I'm out.

Every other mid-range content provider (i.e. of sufficient turnover to own
or rent a whole sim) I know of operates similarly, and whilst to be sure I'm
nothing special and if I left SL now others would take my place, the
circumstances we're considering here whereby widespread content theft would
make my holdings unprofitable would impact my peers similarly.  If I'm
forced out of SL because my business model fails then a vast swath of SL
will be disappearing at the same time.

I'm aware this could sound a bit like "It's my ball and I'll take it home if
you don't play the game I want".  It's not intended to - philosophically I'm
all for Open Source myself. I simply wish to emphasise my particular
economics - which I'm certain are extremely common across the grid - and
that the Lab *has* to get the balance between Open Source and content
protection correct. Previously I thought it had - but from what I see on
this list over the last few days have revised my opinion.

Kevin