On February 4, 2015 at 8:18:19 AM, Nicky Perian (nickyper...@gmail.com) wrote:
Underneath BuildConsole which I assume is a wrapper to prepare an internal
build request likely calls Devenv or MSBuild. Both are available in Pro and CE.
Express only has MSBuild.

Building from a blank build-vc120 with Devenv provides a significant build time
improvement over MSBuild. However, a note on MS's web page for Denenv indicate
that MSBuild should be used. That note has been present since VS2010 release.
My thoughts are that the note was there with aim of easing the transition for
C# and .NET developers that had historically used MSBuild into C++.

One additional point. Singularity Viewer project still uses develop.py and it
internally calls devenv.com with no bad result, as far as I know.

For the list:
Should autobuild.xml call MSBuild or Devenv?

Hi,

You keep asking this question expecting another response, I guess. As stated
both here and on jira, Microsoft recommends MSBuild going forward. All major
build server products use MSBuild. Singularity uses MSBuild and only falls back
to devenv.exe when MSBuild is not available or broken. VS Express is a dead
product as Microsoft will no longer be making new versions of it.

VC projects can be slower on MSBuild because it has to do some backflips to
build them (they’re not in MSBuild format). MSBuild also supports options that
devenv does not (like increased verbosity). Coincidently, the switch from
devenv to MSBuild has very little to do with .NET and more to do with the
removal of VCBuild on favour of MSBuild. In anything newer than VS2010 devenv
just calls MSBuild anyway!

Hope this helps.

--
Cinder Roxley