It's interesting to see this happening.  We have two parts of OpenSSL,
sha512 and pqueue, that solve the 64-bit integer problem in very
different manners.

:-)

Would it be a bad thing to have a header file in crypto/bn that
provides a guaranteed 64-bit number, possibly through BIGNUM, with
macros to distinguish between the true 64-bit integer and BIGNUM cases
(like pq_compat.h has today), and have both sha512 and pqueue use it?

1. I'm reluctant to include bn.h to non-bn code, because it's nothing but counterintuitive [and is not good in long run]. 2. My standpoint is [still] that pqueue/dtls1 should not have dependancy on bh.h either. 3. Using BIGNUM for DTLS purposes is *total* overkill. To back this up I'm going to suggest alternative, 64-bit neutral pq code shortly:-)

I'm not saying that sha512 should be implemented using BINUMs, but
rather that it should be possible to detect if 64-bit integers are
support as far as OpenSSL knows, and have sha512 implemented in those
terms instead of forcing the user to say no-sha512 because his first
build failed?

We can discuss this after I suggest the alternative code... A.