So you're trying to cache the time_t of when they'll expire in your
caching system?  How about CRL updates or OCSP checks, are they a
concern?

I believe there's a call to get the expiration date of a certificate
in text format, and a C function to turn that into a time_t.  Will
that do what you need?

-Kyle H