Joe Gluck wrote:
I did not bother to check the performance, just because
it is obvious that it is more time,

You might be surprized to discover that the obvious thing
is not true.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/optimizationchapter.html

http://www.cookcomputing.com/blog/archives/000084.html
http://www.flounder.com/optimization.htm
http://www.petefreitag.com/item/509.cfm

and even if it is not a lot, why not be better
while I know that performance is a major issue on our system.

I am willing to bet $20 bucks that if you do it with string parsing and
comparison, it won't even be in the top 10 issues affecting the
performance of your application in its steady normal operation.

Please consider trying it out.

Any way, thank you every one, who participated on this thread.

Thank you for raising this issue.