On 02/06/2013 09:43 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:
>> There are actually two licenses. The second allows all software (even
>> closed), but only for non-military use.
>
> I would say that's still a problem.  For example, we could use OpenSSL on our
> network to provide acceleration for public DoD sites.  Is that military use?
> Suppose it's for use on a CIA extranet? Suppose it's for use on an internal
> FBI network linking field offices to HQ?  To the CIA doing the same thing
> internationally?  How do I decide?  How does the OpenSSL team set things up
> so that their (yes, yes, non-paying) customers don't do the wrong thing by
> default?
>
> If you want to limit the use of your invention, which is entirely your right,
> it is best to distribute it yourself.

+1.

The intent is noble but the practical implications get messy very
quickly. For better or worse OpenSSL is very widely used, for good as
well as evil, and the licensing situation is muddled enough as it is.

Personally I think the existence and unrestricted availability of
OpenSSL benefits the good far more than evil.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.