On 6 February 2013 15:04, Steve Marquess <marqu...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 09:43 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:
>>> There are actually two licenses. The second allows all software (even
>>> closed), but only for non-military use.
>>
>> I would say that's still a problem.  For example, we could use OpenSSL on
>> our network to provide acceleration for public DoD sites.  Is that military
>> use?  Suppose it's for use on a CIA extranet? Suppose it's for use on an
>> internal FBI network linking field offices to HQ?  To the CIA doing the same
>> thing internationally?  How do I decide?  How does the OpenSSL team set
>> things up so that their (yes, yes, non-paying) customers don't do the wrong
>> thing by default?
>>
>> If you want to limit the use of your invention, which is entirely your
>> right, it is best to distribute it yourself.
>
> +1.
>
> The intent is noble but the practical implications get messy very
> quickly. For better or worse OpenSSL is very widely used, for good as
> well as evil, and the licensing situation is muddled enough as it is.
>
> Personally I think the existence and unrestricted availability of
> OpenSSL benefits the good far more than evil.

There is a third option for licensing of OCB. From Phil Rogaway's website:

"For other contexts, I license OCB under fair, reasonable, and
non-discriminatory terms. Here is an old patent-assurance letter I
wrote for the IEEE promising this. I expect licensees to pay a small,
one-time fee. I intend that no solvent company should find licensing
to be a significant burden."

Would the OpenSSL Foundation ever consider purchasing such a license
(assuming sufficient sponsorship could be found), if the license could
be made compatible with the OpenSSL license?

Matt