On 03/19/2013 04:59 PM, Matt Caswell wrote:
> On 19 March 2013 19:38, Steve Marquess <marqu...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
>> I took a quick look to see what utilities might be available to convert
>> between pod and mediawiki markup formats. "pod2markdown" (CPAN) is close
>> but not quite there.
>
> The pod markup language is pretty basic. If something isn't already
> out there I would have thought a bit of clever regex search and
> replace would do the job.

Yes, I think in principle conversion both ways is feasible, though by
the time we automate the database I/O it gets complicated. The harder
issue is how the markdown and pod content will be synchronized.

> What I'm not clear on is if you imported them onto the wiki how that
> would work in practice. It's kind of a one way operation - I can't
> really see how you could keep both the pod version and the wiki
> version going - they would inevitably start to diverge....unless you
> could somehow keep wiki as the master and then import them back in
> again?? Alternatively we just ditch pod altogether - but that would
> lose the ability to create man pages (does anyone still read man
> pages)?

That is the dilemma. Currently most of the documentation content at
openssl.org is generated from source files in the repository, so there
is no ready mechanism for feeding any changes back to that source. If
the wiki works out we could conceivably drop the repository controlled
files entirely. That approach hasn't been proven viable yet.

So perhaps a content page in the wiki consisting of a link to the
openssl.org static content so the talk page could collect commentary?

BTW I still read man pages daily ... I have CRS syndrome (Can't Remember
Sh^h^hStuff).

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess