Hi Steve,
My own experience in my company is that OpenOffice is perfectly suited for track changes in a collaborative env. Ok, allright, it cannot offer a line by line diff as in cvs systems, and return to specific version and so on, but the track changes can help.

In my company, we were using latex...and track changes was in fact even more complicated with it.
Not talking about "tables" and "graphics" that were painful.
OpenOffice gives the advantages of various worlds : wisywyg, open format, quite robust for big doc compared to other similar products,..
xml based...

Be careful before going away back to some raw xml format...even if it is better than latex.

a question : Are you thinking to use "LyX" editor to produce Docbook ?

Anyway I  have 2 comments :
1/ fips guide seems good like it is : regularly updated and maintained. I do not think that people claimed for a wiki on that,
so I think it can stay as it is.

2/ wiki was called by some of us to improve some old doc that do not seem to evolve regularly and that miss some details, explanations, samples.

For the moment I would recommend that the wiki focuses on lib doc and command line doc, and not on fips guide.

Well...now a question : I am not an expert with mediawiki format, but will you have also that "version control" issue with that format ? how to solve it then...
or maybe it is not relevant for the wiki, but only for the fips guide...

Regards,
Pierre