> > Anyway, I would really like OpenSSL to decide whether it's an SSL
> > connection or not (it's more general, because the underlying
> > protocol might
> How could the OpenSSL library possibly determine whether or not a
> connection conformed to a protocol that it had no knowledge of? This has
> be done above the SSL layer.

  I don't want it to tell me that, I just want it to tell me whether it's an
SSL connection or not.

  However, Lutz's comment from before was correct. It's hard to do it for
EVERY protocol, since some protocols require the server to speak first. It
might even be impossible, because OpenSSL might actually SEND something to
the client before realizing this isn't an SSL connection.

  So I'll have to open the openssl.org documentations (is it me, or is this
site really really slow?), figure out how BIOs work, and try to get them to
work from Python, too.

  On second thought, I think I'll settle for using two ports for now, unless
someone has a cleaner way of doing it.