> > > Anyway, I would really like OpenSSL to decide whether it's an SSL
> > > connection or not (it's more general, because the underlying
> > > protocol might

> > How could the OpenSSL library possibly determine whether or not a
> > connection conformed to a protocol that it had no knowledge of? This has
> > to be done above the SSL layer.

> I don't want it to tell me that, I just want it to tell me
> whether it's an SSL connection or not.

        I'm afraid that's impossible. There is no definitive test you can use that
can determine whether something is an SSL connection or "not" without
knowing what the alternative is.

> However, Lutz's comment from before was correct. It's hard to do it for
> EVERY protocol, since some protocols require the server to speak first. It
> might even be impossible, because OpenSSL might actually SEND something to
> the client before realizing this isn't an SSL connection.

        It is impossible. Without knowing what the other protocol is, there's no
way to know what distinguishes it from SSL.

        Let's try a commonsense example. You can easily craft a rule for telling
whether something is an apple or a pear, but can you craft a simple rule to
tell if something is an apple or "not" without knowing what the "not" might
be? Try it. This is what you are asking the OpenSSL library to do.

        DS