Hi Chris, Wei,

The normal OpenSSL config and build scripts seem to be different from
the FIPS one. My original attempts at building FIPS didn't run into a
problem until the steps to link fipscannister.o itself. This wouldn't be
an issue with the normal OpenSSL distribution.

Here is procedure that worked for me. I was able to build this on
Solaris by performing the following steps:

1) Install GCC and GNU's linker. Configure GCC to use GNU's linker
(/usr/ccs/bin/ld will not work). My binary distribution of GCC required
me to create a symbolic link to the GNU's ld. GCC can be built with
appropriate flags so that this is not necessary.
3) Download opens-fips-1.1.1. Check the digest to make sure it is
accurate as described in the User Guide for FIPS 1.0.

4) Unzip/untar the fips distribution

5) Run "./config fips". Make sure that the output says it will use gcc.
Note that "fips" was the only argument I passed to config.

6) Run "make".

7) Run "make install".

8) FIPS objects will be in /usr/local/ssl/lib.

The errors that Wei mentioned are similar to the ones I originally saw
on Solaris. The linker distributed with the OS doesn't understand the
options supplied for GNU's linker.