On Fri, Feb 23, 2007, Wei Weng wrote:

> Chris: Thanks for the reply.
>
> Here is the thing I want: I need to build a openssl library that is fips
> capable so that I can link libcurl against the library, since libcurl
> uses openssl library to do the decode/encode stuff.
>
> I am guessing that I will need to build my own openssl library that
> linked against FIPS module.

This has been mentioned before but it is worth repeating. Just linking an
application with a FIPS compliant version of OpenSSL is *NOT* sufficient to
make the application compliant.

The application has to adhere to the security policy.

This among other things requires the application to enable FIPS mode which a
typical application will not do. One of several effects of entering FIPS mode
is to disable the use of non-FIPS algorithms: this may cause problems where
the application expectes to use such algorithms and cannot gracefully handle
errors.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.