Wei:

Here's what I think I've learned about this question.

I think if you compiled openssl-fips-1.1.1 with "config fips; make; make
install" the result would
be an openssl library that was fips certified.

Getting libcurl to make proper use of it would then be a question of whether
libcurl makes the
call to FIPS_mode_set() or not.  If it doesn't, then you aren't getting
anything by linking
libcurl against openssl-fips.  If it does, and libcurl doesn't try to use non
FIPS algorithms
(like blowfish, for example), then you could claim libcurl's use of
openssl-fips was fips
certified.

If you were to patch the source code to libcurl by inserting a call to
FIPS_mode_set() and compile
and link it, I am guessing libcurl would not always work properly because it
would try to use
non-fips algorithms and those operations would fail once FIPS_mode_set() had
been called in your
patch.

One other variation on the above would be if libcurl needs a version of
openssl-0.9.7 more recent
than the one openssl-fips-1.1.1 is based on.  In that case, you would need to
compile openssl
twice: once to generate fips_canister.o, and once to generate the more recent
version of the
library that links against fips_canister.o.  At that point, the above analysis
applies.

Chris Marshall