Chris: Thanks for the reply.

Here is the thing I want: I need to build a openssl library that is fips capable so that I can link libcurl against the library, since libcurl uses openssl library to do the decode/encode stuff.

I am guessing that I will need to build my own openssl library that linked against FIPS module.

Is that right?

Thanks

Wei

Christopher Marshall wrote:
Wei:

My current guess is that if all you are trying to do is get an openssl utility
that is FIPS
certified, then doing ./config fips make make install
from inside the top level directory of openssl-fips-1.1.1 is all that is
required.

If you want an openssl utility of a more recent 0.9.7 version that the one
fips-1.1.1 is based on,
then you would have to do a two pass build as you outlined using one of the
0.9.7 snapshots.

Is that correct everyone?

Chris Marshall

--- Wei Weng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi. Sorry I can not answer your question, but it seems that you are the only one that is working on getting openssl-fips-1.1.1 to work these days, so I had to bug you for some trivial questions. :)

Do you think the process I had gone into making openssl-fips-1.1.1 work is correct? (I do realize we are working on different platforms, but I think the general procedures should be similar)

Thanks!  The following is from an email I sent the list earlier.

Hi all.

I want to know whether this is correct in building a FIPS capable openSSL binaries. download openssl-fips-1.1.1.tar.gz and openssl-0.9.7l.tar.gz, unzip them into their own directories.
cd openssl-fips-1.1.1, do
./config fips --prefix=/opt/fips
and make; make install is going to install fips_canister.o inside /opt/fips/lib directory.
cd openssl-0.9.7l, do
./config shared --with-fipslibdir=/opt/fips/lib/ --openssldir=/opt/openssl-0.9.7l/ and make; make install is going to put FIPS capable openssl binaries into /opt/openssl-0.9.7l/

Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Wei

Wei