I am using the same system -- I have tried with last years chain file as
well. The only thing that would be different to my knowledge are possibly
the version of openssl and the renewed crt file if it possibly requires new
CA's (I did use their most current certificates before I tried using my old
cafile).

openssl verify never returns, I'm not sure what the syntax I am shooting for
there is.

When i try without using the "-chain" command then it compiles the p12 and
it does seem to load in Chrome and IE ,but in FF3 I get:

secure.example.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

And in FF4 I get:

store.innertraditions.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

I have always used the -chain and -CAfile options together when creating
p12's.