I simplified the issue a bit in order to try and understand what is going on
here and found that the SSL certificate that Network Solutions is providing,
along with the intermediate chain file cannot be verified by newer installs
of Firefox. It doesn't have anything to do with the p12 file I am creating
(I loaded up the network solutions files in apache and tested).

Who would be at fault here? Am I still doing something wrong, or is this
Mozilla's fault for not including a needed root ca file? It seems the
missing link is the "AddTrustExternalCARoot" certificate.

I tried adding the AddTrustExternalCARoot cert to the top of my certificate
chain, but this causes apache to break, and then not start complaining of
"[error] Failed to configure CA certificate chain!". I used a chain file
that I have used in previous years, and that did allow apache to start but I
still cannot verify with Firefox. Then I tried using last years (and soon
expiring) certificate for my site and that works FINE. So ... Network
Solutions screwed something up when issuing my certificate (this is the
second one I have had re-issued) or am I doing something wrong. I have no
idea what that could be at this point -- I have never had so much trouble
with an SSL certificate and am not an expert by any means.

Anyone have any thoughts? I called NS earlier in this process and they said
"not our problem" but perhaps I will try again.