>  openssl verify -CAfile chain.crt my.cert.crt
>
> IF you have installed some 'common' or 'standard' CAs in your
> system's default truststore -- or if you're using a packaged
> build that does so for you -- turn that off to make sure it
> doesn't silently 'fill in' certs for you, something like:
>
>  openssl verify -CAfile chain.crt -CApath /dev/null my.cert.crt

Thanks, that make sense. However the output is basically the same as the
original error when I was using the "-chain" command.

error 20 at 0 depth lookup:unable to get local issuer certificate

I spent a long time on the phone with Network Solutions today and they claim
up and down the river that it is not their problem. However when I generate
a p12 file with the chain files they supplied and last years certificate, it
works fine. When I create a p12 with the same chain files and options but
use this years certificate -- doesn't work.

OR using the verify comparison, last years crt w/ this years chain file:
../p12/www.example.com.crt: OK
versus the above error ouput

The only way they will give any feedback is at $60/half hour. Nice support
team.