On Mar 6, 2012, at 10:45 AM, Sunjeet Singh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Most of the references on this forum on how to use nCipher HSM with OpenSSL
> using the CHIL API (or CAPI) are outdated. I was wondering if anyone had any
> pointers to helpful resources in this regard.

I don't know if "outdated" is the word: perhaps there hasn't ever been much.

> I've been reading up about it here and there and I'm aware of the commands to
> use for engine selection and usage etc. but I think I am lacking some basic
> conceptual knowledge. I've gotten only as far as generating the keys using
> the CHIL engine, but don't know how to use the key and certificate for crypto
> operations.

The CHIL Engine *only* registers for RSA exponentiation, and cannot be used to
generate keys.  You generate HSM protected keys of 'embed' application type
using the Thales/nCipher 'generatekey' utility (invoke with --help to see what
options are available), and use the embedsavefile as key for your openssl
program with the CHIL engine registered.

S.

--
san...@temme.net              http://www.temme.net/sander/
PGP FP: FC5A 6FC6 2E25 2DFD 8007  EE23 9BB8 63B0 F51B B88A

View my availability: http://tungle.me/sctemme