Pascal Bleser wrote:

jdd, please get a clue about how current package repository metadata
formats are implemented (e.g. RPM-MD (yum)).

be consistent.

the actual system is horribly buggy, nearly unusable, so I don't use it and can't test it. You said we must not discuss this here.

The version info cannot be retrieved later,

if we want to have a working system we have to change this.

in the 10.0, the refresh time was making the system unusable. we must find a way to fix this _first_ I can't afford to wait half an hour each time I need a package. and If I don't have to use yast, I don't have to use SUSE.

Then, and only then, a package manager's engine is able to compute the
paths and operations for upgrading, installing dependencies, possibly
removing packages because of broken dependencies introduced by upgrades,
etc....

I think there are two completely different things.

* first time install. there, of course, nothing exists and we have to wait sometimes, but working with disks images makes usually things quite fast. I never noticed large install brake.

* updates. This is the work of the updater (formerly susewatcher, I don't know the new name, the kde icon don't gives any name)

stating from a known point, the package manager should not have too much work to do or we have to manage a way to make this in the background, _before_ we need to see it, at night...

What's the problem with yast2 and rpm-md repositories ?
We've had "repository management" since 10 years.

If that's not what you meant, be more explicit.

AFAIK, there is no way (in 10.0) to manage repositories independantly (we can only add or delete one). When I see a package in Yast, I don't know from what repository it comes.

I'm not sure, but I feel like some time ago I could select packages by repository.

repository management could be also to copy at will packages from a repository (for example packman) to an other (for example local) AFAIK, when packman update a package, the old one is no more available (I was obliged to refresh packman, because the package known by yast was no more available)

now we can do this with wget...

When the same package is present on different repositories.. that's what
package managers are made for, they have algorithms to solve those "issues".

I would like a better control upon these algorythm

createrepo is _much_ easier to use than create_package_descr though,

frankly, I think these problems are OT :-). we discuss what we want. the 10.2 (or 10.3) user should _not_ have to bother what is the name of the utility who makes the work. He uses Yast.

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net