On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 08:55:35AM +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> OTOH, Microsoft Windows (Outlook?) does that as well: If the file has any
> previewable suffix, the preview module corresponding to the "file magic word"
> (not
> the suffix) is called for "preview". Virus writers know that quite well.

I have no idea how M$ works, so I will believe you. I do not see any
relevance however. I am not in this to either copy or be better then M$.
I do not even care if what they do is better or worse then what Linux
does.

> Would you like your ".jpeg" to be executed as Perl Program?

If it is a perl program, then yes.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] : file create_package_descr
create_package_descr: perl script text
[EMAIL PROTECTED] : mv create_package_descr create_package_descr.jpeg
[EMAIL PROTECTED] : file create_package_descr.jpeg
create_package_descr.jpeg: perl script text

> Despite of that, "file" can be wrong!

Yes it can. Just like a suffix. That does not mean that a suffix should
never be used or is uninportand. It should be, in my eyes, only importand
to the living person.
It is nice to have a file.txt, file.sh and file.jpg so you know what to
place where and what to open. To the system and programs using it, it
should not be an issue.

--
houghi          http://houghi.org       http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/