Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 16. August 2006 16:44 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
> Will this work?

It depends on some points:
- you should give some more background information about the topics -
  I'll insert some questions regarding this below.
- you should mail some days earlier the next time ;-))

> The planned topics for tomorrow's meeting are:
>
> * D-Bus 0.91 and PolicyKit/resmgr
>
>   We just switched to D-Bus 0.91 and the question arises whether to
>   continue to use resmgr or switch to PolicyKit.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

> * Move to GNOME 2.16
>
>   The packagers have started already with the first packages, we want
>   to discuss the timeframe for the move and the move of GNOME to /usr
>   (from /opt/gnome).

Hmm, what's the reason for this?
BTW: Will KDE be moved also?

> * SuSEconfig removal
>
>   SuSEconfig is currently run after each package installation by YaST
>   and is a huge bottleneck.  Some scripts have already been removed
>   and we have to discuss how to move on.

What's the replacement for config files that are _generated_ by
SuSEconfig? (as in: including /etc/sysconfig/foo is impossible for the
respective application)  -> You won't be able to do this in rpm
postinstall scripts or alike ;-)

Possible solutions:
a) drop the sysconfig files for this applications (opinions about this
   depend from "good idea, they are simply annoying" up to "keep
   sysconfig, it's easy to use for basic configuration" depending on
    whom you ask ;-)
b) keep the parts of SuSEconfig that generate config files based
   on /etc/sysconfig settings

OK, that were the (at least for me) unclear parts. Let's continue with
the other ones ;-)

> * update messages general/conditional (e.g. bind)
>
>   During update of packages they could notify users about changes via
>   email and/or the SuSEplugger (until 10.0, this is not anymore in
>   10.1).  Most of these are outdated and not really usefull anymore
>   and should be removed.  The question is how to handle situations
>   like bind where config files get rewritten and the user should be
>   informed if this fails.

IMHO: mail them to root - that's easy to implement and easy to use.

Hint: KMail / Evolution should come with the local /var/spool/mail/$user
mailbox preconfigured.

> * Dropping UP Kernel on i386/x86-64
[good explanation, but I'm not deep enough in kernel development to give
a usable comment ;-) ]

> * Linker Options and Optimizations
[see kernel, s/kernel development/packaging/]

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
    1.-4.9.2006: Weinfest in Insheim
Pig Slip, Hifi-Delity, AH-Band, Frank Petersen und die Deafen Goblins