Hi,

> Smart crashes if I accidently type a German 'umlaut'.

This should not happen. Report a bug at http://tracker.labix.org including the
traceback.

> It malfunctions if it has for some strange reason downloaded
> incomplete or wrong channel data (e.g. a HTTP error message instead)
> from some mirror server.

This is already known and (AFAIK) already being worked on.

> I'm already used to the fact that every update of some Python
> component will break at least the GUI for a few days. And so on.

That is something you have to live with, at least until the tree stabilizes.

Remember that openSUSE 10.2 is still alpha, which means: Still version updates
and feature additions. It will probably no longer happen when the tree is
feature frozen.

Andreas