Mike,

On Friday 27 October 2006 09:53, Mike FABIAN wrote:

> > Most likely I will make rendering with the byte code interpreter
> > the default for certain list of fonts where it obviously gives
> > superior results.
>
> To test how it looks like using the byte code interpreter,
> put the following in your ~/.fonts.conf file:
>
>     <?xml version="1.0"?><fontconfig>
>
>      [...]
>
>      <match target="font" >
>       <edit mode="assign" name="autohint" >
>        <bool>false</bool>
>       </edit>
>      </match>
>

>      [...]
>
>     </fontconfig>

These elements existed previously (clearly created by the Fonts module
of the KDE Control Center). Should I replace them with the ones you
gave, or add your to these? If the latter, does ordering matter?

 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintmedium</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>

> But there are fonts (though not Verdana) which look better if the
> autohinter is used. Therefore switching the autohinter off always as
> in the above example is not a perfect solution either.

I'm more than willing to refine the configuration as much as required.
I'm a fanatic about getting fonts the way I want them (I'll refrain
from saying "right," since there clearly are subjective factors in this
matter).

Where are the various configuration files documented? I think I'm going
to need to know all about them.

Randall Schulz