On 1/18/07, Andreas Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I heard from several sides that the base system of openSUSE 10.2 is a
bit large - and agree and would like to discuss with you what we can
do.

I thought about the following:
* make the existing base system pattern really minimal
* add another conveninience pattern that has all the extra stuff we
  currently have in the base system - and require this for all other
  patterns.

For a really minimal base system we have to define what we need first.

Here's a proposal for a "Definition Base System":
  Multiuser system with:
  * Local login (via /etc/passwd)
  * network setup via ethernet
  * default filesystems used (ext3) directly (without evms, lvm,
    mdraid etc)
  * no services running by default

My questions for discussion are especially the following:

* What do you think of this?  Do you have better ideas?

* Is the "base system definition" ok?  What's missing - or is it still
  too much or should made clearer?

* How do I name the new pattern with all the extra stuff?

Note this is in some ways a followup to bug  #228815,

I think this sounds like a great idea. I was only yesterday thinking
of this exact thing. Nice to know that I'm in such a sync with other
great minds.

Something I would like to see in the "base" pattern is tools to
install new software and with that I don't only mean rpm but a way to
use a network source for installation and update perhaps zypper? And I
personally never install a machine nowdays without lvm2 so for me that
is a essential tool (others might disagree). But the update/install
parts is the most important.

Warm Regards,
Claes Backstrom