On 1/19/07, Andreas Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Claes Bäckström" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am a firm believer in that rpm packages should depend on the
> functions they need. No rpm package should take for granted that
> something is installed in the "base" pattern. I also hate it when

I agree - and if this is not the case, it's worth a bugreport.

Great wasn't sure if this was the way suse worked now I know and will
report any signs of this to bugzilla.

> single rpm packages depends on patterns (not sure if this exist in
> openSUSE) they should depend on rpm packages.

There's no such case.

And I hope there will never be any. If it will happen I will report
that to bugzilla as well
.
> And also thinks that a pattern should not depend on rpm packages that
> other rpm packages included in the pattern also depends on, as there
> is no need for that. This is not a problem technical speaking it's
> just harder to maintain and confusing to people.

I'm not sure I understand you here.  Could you rephrase this, please?

Well I can try to explain what I mean with an example. (names as so on
is just imagination)

Say we have a backup pattern. Something like this:
----
securebackup  (the tool that does the backups)
tar
bzip2
openssh
---

The securebackup tool uses tar and bzip2 to do the backup then scp it
to another server. This means that securebackup rpm depends on tar,
bzip2 and openssh.

In my meaning the backup pattern is wrong. It should only depend on
securebackup as that will install tar, bzip2 and openssh. This means
when securebackup is dead upstreams and no one will fork it. It's very
simple to change the backup pattern to depend on gnubackup that uses
tar, gzip and ssh instead. No need to change the backup pattern
removing bzip2 and adding gzip to it.

I hope this example explains what I was talking about.

Warm Regards,
Claes Backstrom