On Wednesday 30 May 2007 13:41, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> > Adding /sbin/ to user's $PATH doesn't lower your security. (because
> > you're still bound by Linux-user security privileges)
> >
> > But it will make our systems easier to use. So I vote for making it
> > the default.
>
> And it breaks 30 years of conventions on Unix systems and would be
> the only Linux distribution doing that by default.

I don't know about you, but I was using Unix (the only and only Unix) 30
years ago, and this issue simply did not exist. There was /bin
and /usr/bin and everybody had both in their path, of course.

So it's a little disingenuous to make this claim.

Furthermore, we should not let history or tradition stand in the way of
improvement. If not having administrative directories in the default
path is an impediment for users, then they should be added.

I'm agnostic on the actual topic, though, since I never run with a stock
PATH or pretty much stock anything...

> So that's definitely a no.
>
> Do it on your box if you like to or even add a switch in YaST2 to
> enable it, but don't make it the default setting.

I really fail to see a down-side, with the possible exception of the
fact that there are sometimes multiple commands with the same name.
Whois springs to mind. I'm not sure what the one in /sbin does, but it
doesn't appear to be at all the same thing that the one in /usr/bin/
does (which is to look up whois directory information).

> cheers

Randall Schulz