Jonathan Arsenault wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 09:08 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

> >  I'd vote for appending sbin to regular users' $PATH by default. There
> > are many tools in sbin that can be called as user to display at least some
> > status information (or even just the help text). The clueless don't use the
> > shell anyways and therefore don't care.
>
> Many tool usable by user in there, like what ? ifconfig and iwlist are
> the exception and not the rule, ip that a user should use instead of
> deprecated ifconfig is symlinked to /bin already.

route, traceroute, nfsstat, alsactl, lpc, mkfs ... I'm sure you'll
find dozens more.

> Look at the 270'or so binary in /sbin and the 330'or so in /usr/sbin
> (/opt/gnome/sbin and /opt/kde3/sbin even) and tell me that they belong
> into a user path, if you think about answering yes to that then explain
> to me why they needed to be separated in the first place from normal
> bin. Lets just stuff hem all in a giant directory and be done with
> it ...

The question was not whether the file system layout as we know it
still makes sense but whether non-root users would benefit from
quick access to sbin binaries by default. Changing the default[1]
PATH is the probably the most simple way to achieve that if you
don't want touch individual packages and add extra symlinks.

cu
Ludwig

[1] which means you'd be free to change it back

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE Labs