On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 10:34 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Sun 08 Jul 2007 02:27:42 NZST +1200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>
> > TeXlive
>
> > What do you think?
>
> I just put a dent in my head from hitting the roof over an absence of
> LaTeX from the DVD... Yes it's big, that's why having it on DVD helps.
>
> Volker

Gentleman,
I would like to point out that the teXlive\Tex\LaTex debate seems to be
concerned with a relatively small group(in a world domination approach
of distribution, which openSUSE needs) of university\scientific users.
This program group seems to take enough space to be on it's own CD\DVD.
As openSUSE moves towards the idea that the base install should meet the
needs of a larger group, i.e Home Users, some of the current groups are
going to have to accept that there favorite program will need to be on
an "Add-On" product CD\DVD. This, as I am sure the Devs will agree, will
mean that the current high quality of integration of these programs that
get moved to these "Add-on" CD\DVD's will remain or improve. In terms of
sharing them, this will increase the ease in which you distribute the
programs to your students \ co-workers by alleviating the requirement
that you have to distribute and entire distro to your students \
co-workers. Your schools \ departments could simply start saying
openSUSE X.x or SLED X.x are necessary to take part in course X \ work
in department X, much like they do now for other topics, and you then
hand out the Tex\TeXlive DVD.

We as community members are responsible to the distribution and it's
well being,(that old "the good of many" thing) and in order for openSUSE
to move forward it must make life easier for a much bigger group, as the
1-cd install idea does. The entire ecosystem of Linux is growing and it
is going to end up resembling the w32 ecosystem in several ways, 1)
Distro's will be devoted to getting the hardware, UI and some base
\common features installed 2) projects are going to have to produce
their own installation media\RPM\deb's or use things like the "Build
Service" to do so. 3) distribution groups are going to supply the niche
groups with "Add-On" product media and download sources, such as other
industries offer a line of products. These are inevitable changes, so
instead or mourning a change in how our own group needs are being met,
let's applaud the team for meeting the needs of more groups and keeping
openSUSE viable in a growing\evolving environment.

I don't take the time to say "Thank You" often enough so....

THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU !
--
James Tremblay
Director of Technology