On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Robert Lihm <rl...@suse.de> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I even send the setting copies to the print house. So, from now we can
> discuss the future ;-)

Good. Because I'd like to open an etherpad page to write the texts
anew, starting with a focus on who our target users are etcetera.

I think the easiest thing would actually be to kind'a copy the ideas
we did in the KDE team, as that has been thought out fairly well. IOW
make a leaflet for complete newcomers and one for potential
contributors/developers/etc

I don't want to hurt any feelings, but the one we made now is bad. Not
the design, that's great, but the text is unfocused and bad.

This folder contains a weird mix of focusing on
developers/contributors (Build Service), completely-new-to-linux-users
(the Free Software part) and something which doesn't make sense at all
(operating system). Moreover, the form (leaflet) doesn't fit with the
amount of text at all.

So that doesn't work. First of all, if you're targeting
completely-new-to-linux users don't waste time on talking about Free
Software, they don't care. It sucks but that's the truth. Focus on
what is cool and good about openSUSE, what we have. Again, see the KDE
poster (the users focussed one) as a good example.

For contributors you can and should go a bit deeper, again focus on
what's cool and try to take away what makes them NOT contribute: the
perceived high barrier to entry.

So if we can decide who this is target and then write the texts, this
could be great. Doing something like this in 3 days is just plain
impossible, sorry - it needs a bit more thought. You don't need a
million IRC meetings or anything, a few ppl CAN do it in a few days as
soon as the goals are clear, but those must be discussed first.

Sorry to be so negative. I'm more than willing to help (as I said
before) and I hope my feedback doesn't give ppl the feeling this was a
waste of time - again, I like the design, and openSUSE needs folders
and stuff like this a lot!

Cheers,
Jos