On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 13:02 +0100, S.Kemter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 22 Dezember 2010, 00:57:09 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> > On Wednesday 22 December 2010 00:34:14 Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > The openSUSE Marketing Team's Collaboration Days have concluded and
> > > Pascal (yaloki) entered the final statement into our log files as we
> > > closed up:
> > >
> > > "we can be heroes, just for one day" - David Bowie
> > >
> > > How fitting for us on days when so many marketing heroes stepped forward
> > > to make Collaboration Days a success.
> >
> > I want to echo this statement, thanks all - super work! Really appreciate
> > it, although I'm almost falling asleep behind the keyboard now ;-)
> >
> > > I'm going to leave the report for today's Social Media collaboration day
> > > to our fine moderators Manu Gupta and Jos Poortvliet to convey to you
> > > all, but for me, I just want to make a general statement.
> > >
> > > You all did a wonderful job and proved that when we need to come
> > > together, we can do it!  So many tasks were identified over the last 3
> > > events this month and identified many things that we need to focus on in
> > > 2011.
> > >
> > > So what's next?  To be sure, we will definitely plan special
> > > Collaboration Days as the need arises within our team.  Hopefully not
> > > with the intensity we faced this month with 3 weekly events, but still,
> > > we learned what works and what doesn't work.
> > >
> > > The next tentative "collaboration day" is actually a face-to-face
> > > hackfest which we are aiming for February.  We encourage you all to take
> > > a look at http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:11.4_Marketing_Hackfest  Soon
> > > we will need to review the list of people who are interested and start
> > > making concrete plans for organizing this event.
> >
> > Yes, please, ppl, anyone who would WANT to come and contribute - just put
> > your name there. Don't think about cost or whether the date works for you
> > - we will figure that out later. ADD YOUR NAME IF YOU WANT TO COME PLEASE.
> >
> > Of course we can't fly 20 ppl over from India or the USA if we do it in
> > Europe. But we don't have to do it in Europe, if it's cheaper to do it in
> > the USA then that's where it'll be. And we have budget. The hotel will be
> > free, I surely pay for that, the travel depends on how much you need it,
> > how many ppl need it etc - but we will try to help as many ppl to come as
> > possible!
>
> first of all, I hate what u doing here talking in an other thread about an
> other thing!
>
> You should make a decision where, I mean psankar need  a visa and thats not
> so
> easy for the indian guys, thats why he wrote later is better.
> For myself if u come on the idea to make it in US, then I am sure I need
> travel support same I think for Bruno I dont think he pays then, the travel
> costs self!
> And btw. I would need a passport for US that take me 2 months
> or faster I have to pay more and get a green one and then I need a visa.

> [...]

- As a hackfest is a collaboration event, they are indeed related
topics.

- Jos and I have already discussed directly with PSankar the issue of
visas from India and looking at ways we can help him with the visa.  We
know it is not an easy challenge and all of that is being taken into
consideration.

- As stated multiple times, nothing is final yet.  We need first to know
who is interested in participating in the hackfest period, and then we,
as a team, can explore how dates work best for the most people and the
location that is ideal.  Europe has been proposed, United States has
been proposed, and possibly other locations will be proposed before the
team, as a whole, decides where to go.

- While I understand you and others have some time limits for obtaining
a passport, that is something that we are going to keep in mind.
Regarding visas, Europeans do not need a visa in order to visit the
United States, for 90 days or less.  so you don't need to worry about
that for yourself.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#countries

Obviously I cannot tell you what to do about passport applications.   My
feeling is that its always good to have a passport handy to make future
events more possible.  Let's face it, we're in the open source world and
there's always something coming up that gives us an opportunity to
travel outside of our boundaries.  Having a passport, which usually is
valid for up to 10 years, makes this easier for future needs.

Bryen