What I am going to say have much love inside them because you know you
are all my friends.
We have ambassadors in 47 countries which means that we have users of
openSUSE at 47 countries at least so making 47 different local mailing
lists would be great,if those ML's had traffic
If they don't those are practically useless.

Now I will tell you what I made so that you see some things a bit more clear.
I asked a local mailing list when I thought I could work with it. I
asked a second one about translation when it became clear we needed
one.
The first question is if you really need one. By need I mean post
there almost daily and have members communicate and help each other
and inform people. Having a ML just to have 2-3 mails per month and in
a language that you can do it in another ML, the way I see it, and
think about it, might cause some problems to the local community you
are making the list to support.Consider that you must have people to
support all levels of users(at least most of them).

Also think about all that confusing things Bryen said ;-) and how many
local ML can confuse users.

Having many lists make the Global community lose important feedback
and honestly that is the reason we tell Greek people if they have a
problem they can explain in English, write at opensuse-project and not
in opensuse-el since others users can benefit in various ways with
answers they will get.

Now about what Chuck said about a local event,I think that even if you
had an opensuse-USA list, states are so big that this problem would
not be solved.
Also don't underestimate the help a Greek or a French or a Belorussian
can give you in a local event in the states,more ideas are never bad.
No one tells you how to run things, bottom line you always do what you
want,but having more ideas if you have a well-structured way of
thinking can never be harmful.
I am not against local ML, on the contrary I am a big supporter but
only if think it can really change things to the better and only if
you really think that the existing lists don't serve you they
desirable way.
Bottom line on that, if you think a ML can help your local communities
go for it but have in mind that it can also weaken a local community
if it does not work well, I know a couple of examples.
I would suggest to start where we started and that is an IRC channel,
announce it on the project ML and then talk with people there if you
really need a ML.
If you all agree to that go for it.

That is my opinion and I certainly don't want to play the smart-ass here :-)
Think about it

Kostas

2011/4/2 Helen South <helen.so...@opensuse.org>:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Bryen M. Yunashko <susero...@bryen.com> wrote:
>
>> Now let me ask another question.  If we create country ML's, does it
>> have to be focused on ambassadors only?  If, for example, we create an
>> Australian list, wouldn't it make more sense to create one list for all
>> of Australia rather than just for its ambassadors?   (opensuse-au vs.
>> opensuse-ambassadors-au)
>
> This was my intention. A mailing list for users, not just Ambassadors.
> We are all active in one way or another.
>
>> Does it justify the additional overhead placed on our beloved mail admin,
>> Henne (even if he says he doesn't care?)
>
> I didnt realize that administering a list would be a lot of hassle
> (I've never done it).
> We could start a Google or Yahoo group and manage it ourselves.
>
> Alternatively I guess I could keep a list of contacts and ask people
> individually if it's ok to CC them whenever we want to ask if someone
> wants media, is going to an event and so on. It's hardly efficient,
> though.
>
> cheers
>
> Helen
>

> IRC: helen_au