On Tuesday 17 May 2011 08:27:05 Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Monday, 16. May 2011, 23:24:01 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > You might wonder - what happened to the brochure. Well, call it the Black
> > Hole of the Web, call it a fluke - a mail with comments on the latest
> > draft got lost and progress stopped for a while.
>
> Some remarks, the OBS text speak about more things which we don't really
> have in a mature state. I think it would be better to point out to the
> cool stuff which we have already. For example:

Well, we can keep this flyer for a long time (considering how long it took to
make it) so I would rather make sure it is future proof. What is experimental
now will probably work in 6 months and I bet we won't refresh this for at
least a year, if not more. Then we'd miss some cool features :D

(This btw also means I shouldn't have written "windows package support in the
making")

Now the text you wrote below is quite long, which is a bit of an issue. You
might notice we tried to write as much info in as little words as possible...

But you think we should emphasize different things, right? Let's try to do
that.

> COOL:
>
>  * Everybody can build rpm or debian packages for openSUSE, Fedora, Debian,
> Ubuntu Mandriva, SLES or RHEL from one source. The building is done in a
> 100% reproducable way.
<snip other changes>

Don't you think we should mention the direct pull from git or SVN? Or the use
of VMs? Those usually get my audience go like<deepvoice> "coool"</deepvoice>..

One change we DO need to do is change openSUSE Build Service to Open Build
Service :D

If you think windows support won't be there anytime soon, we should remove it.

So how about this:

Open Build Service
COOL
Build rpm and deb packages on a central
server, pulling from git/SVN and using VMs to
build for any platform or OS

COOL++

works from a web browser, cli or REST api

builds for 21 linux distributions on 6 architectures

can generate Windows “packages”

user can branch packages and submit modifications

offers distribution maintenance update support

Hopefully fits... This should basically cover the points you added, mostly at
least :D

> In general there is quite a lot of links and space to used to link to
> closed environments like facebook. And no link to our free resources like
> news.o.o. I don't think that this is a good first impression for a OSS
> project.

Good point. Karl, could you add a link to news.opensuse.org as premier news
source? And add connect.opensuse.org as 'connect with openSUSE' somehow.

> Also below appinstaller you say that we collaborate with Red Hat, while
> this is not wrong, I think we should maybe better mention the Fedora
> project instead, because that is our working base to each other.

Karl, can you change that?

> Below Tumbleweed, I would personally like to see it mentioned that OBS is
> used as collaboration place for that project ;)

maybe add:
- build on OBS!
But let's skip it if there is no room...

> However, while I of course agree that our infrastructure is great, I think
> it takes too much room on this paper. At least when you target end-users
> in first place, they don't want to build packages or appliances, they want
> cool applications. And they want a nice community, no word about the
> forums, mail and IRC here. This IMHO what should be mentioned first
> instead of Studio and OBS.

Well, this folder is supposed to target the average conference go-er. And
those are quite a bit more technical than the average home user - whom we
barely ever reach anyway... Add to that that one side of the flyer IS
dedicated to talking about home users, sysadmins & developers as well as
talking about our community I think it should be OK.

However, you are right on IRC and forums - we could add links to those as
well:
forums.opensuse.org
#opensuse at freenode.net

But those last two links I leave at the discretion of Karl as I don't know if
that fits in a way that looks good....

Karl, can you make the changes?