I ran across an interesting article about popularity of Linux distributions
at:

http://redmonk.com/dberkholz/2013/05/20/ranking-linux-distributions-and-the-decline-of-the-traditional-distros/

Of course you can debate the method and the accuracy of the data, but I think
it gives some interesting insights.

One thing that I found interesting is that openSUSE seems to have a strong
bias towards enthusiastic users, but not towards developers.

Linux enthusiasts is a target audience where we can shine with our mix of
making things simple (e.g. YaST) and providing powerful tools (e.g. OBS). It
might be worth to consider that in our marketing and strategy more.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <csc...@suse.de>