On Thursday 27 July 2006 10:28, houghi wrote:

Hi,

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 10:10:44AM +0200, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:
> > please don't. Using CSS to place things in the content area will
> > eventually break the whole page in case the general wiki template
> > changes (e.g. when updating to a new MediaWiki version).
>
> Ok, I should complain to MediaWiki not to use tables. :-/
>
> > I would like
> > to ensure that we never need to touch single pages when we change
> > the template and the corresponding CSS.
>
> Indeed. That would be possible if using only CSS and no tables at
> all. However that is a MediaWiki issue and not an openSUSE issue.
> (Even /. uses css nowadays. :-)

you got me wrong ;-).
The MediaWiki templates do not use tables - it's all css.

To me, an openSUSE web page consists of two parts: the one that is
generated from the template and the one that a user enters (the content
part).
Both parts should be completely independent from each other. So no
matter how the template part changes, the content part must always
remain unchanged.

The table I have used to position the two columns is within the content
part. My fear is that if we use CSS to position the columns, the
content layout will no longer be independent from then template layout.
But maybe I am wrong here.

> > Apart from that, I tried to avoid tables as much as possible. It is
> > just _one_ table with the simplest layout that is possible: one
> > row, two columns, so it's just KISS.
>
> Not having looked at tabled at all for so long, it isn't exactly KISS
> to me. ;-)

Well, this is the table code I used:

not too complicated, I think ;-)).

> For thos who don't get it, I hate tables, especially if they are used
> to place content on a website. ;-)

Using a table (not nested tables, of course) is sometimes much easier.

--
Tschau
        Frank