Den Friday 11 May 2007 12:05:03 skrev Martin Schmidkunz:
> Do we really need md5sums? The medias are checked during installation
> anyway.

Good point about the media check, though everyone skips it. I just think
broken isos is quite common. It could be nice to discretely inform people
that they can actually check for that - and take some steps to reduce the
risk (download manager/bittorrent).

Maybe link to troubleshooting section is good enough.

> > - I fear the way it looks now people with support for 64bit will feel
> > they must get the 64bit version. Which is likely to cause them a few
> > problems they would not face if they installed the 32bit version.
>
> Like what?
> Honestly if there are problems running 64bit stuff on a 64bit system
> then these problems should be reported and we should try to fix them.

Little things that are not really fixable by a distributor.

- There are more x86-packages.
- w32codecs don't work with 64bit players (I believe). Of course you can play
almost everything with free codecs these days, but still..
- Java apps such as limewire or azureus tend to cause problems
- tarballs compile more often without problems on 32bit I think,
- biarch can cause some problems, people must remember to keep 32bit firefox
to have working java webplugin.

Stuff like that..

Just came up with another idea/suggestion:
Could we perhaps recommend a media+method. I think it could be wise to gently
push people towards bittorrent DVD download.

- reduces risk of broken iso
- reduces load on mirrors
- no need for add-on cd/manual install of ipw-firmware, java, flash etc.
- not many media changes during burning+installation.

Of course this requires dvd-burner, good bandwidth and a bittorrent client.
But I still think that we should recommend it.