On Thursday 10 May 2007 16:59, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:

Hi,

thanks for all the valuable feedback on the new download page. I have
tried to implement the majority of your suggestion for improvement in
the newest version which you can find at

http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/download/index_cols.html

As always: Feedback is most welcome.
(I wasn't able to test it on Windows and Mac so far, so there may be
bugs on these platforms - though I hope not ...)

I have discounted some of your suggestions - here are my reasons. If you
think different, please bring them up again, so we can discuss them:

* Orange colour:
  - open issue, though I am not sure it will change ;)

* clickable icons in front of the download links
  - Sigh, is this really necessary? It's a pain to implement it in
    proper HTML (avoiding tables) for all browsers

* a small text "right click on the icons to save as"
  - Why? A left click downloads the file ...

* there should be some kind of recommendation to use a download
  manager for http/ftp
  - This is already mentioned in the "download help" page on the wiki

* there should be some kind of explanation about md5sum
  Too confusing for beginners, especially from the Windows world.

* links to the repositories
  http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/*/
  - see link "Package Repositories" in the left navigation

* the footnotes from current http://download.opensuse.org
  - I do not think this is the right place to tell people about the
    differences between the media. I would be happy to link to an
    appropriate article on the wiki...

* should be nice to have text in variables to keep the same page through
  i18n
  - I haven't thought about maintaining the page, yet...

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.opensuse.org/
Reality is always controlled by the people who are most insane (Dogbert)