On Thursday 26 January 2006 16:48, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> Joseph M. Gaffney wrote:
> > 1) Is this shunning the existing community?
> >
> > I don't believe so, I believe this is unifying the community, by having a
> > central, official, place for SUSE on the web in the form of a forum.
> > That said, comments from those running existing forums really is needed.
>
> It _is_ if we don't involve the maintainers of the currently existing
> community forums. They are not on this list and "we" are asking the SUSE
> staff to put up a new forum that will be the official one. As long as we
> don't involve the maintainers of the current forums, this is happening
> behind their back.

Which is exactly why comments from them are needed, agreed.

> > 3) Extra effort would be needed, taken development time away.
> >
> > I sincerely disagree with this argument.  Aside from initial
> > configuration, what main work needs to be done? Moderation? Simple, users
> > will be able to do this.  Many of you know many others on this list, who
> > are not Novell
>
> Agreed. Some volunteers for moderation speak up. Possibly create an
> opensuse-forum mailing-list to discuss issues related to it.

I'm very active on many forums throughout the day - would be willing to do it,
especially since wiki work gets taxing sometimes, and I take a break - much
like my most recent going-on-a-few-weeks-now break :)

> You are forgetting a point I've made at the very beginning of this thread,
> which I think to be very important.
>
> If there is an official forum, you will *NOT* be able to discuss questions
> like "how do I play encrypted DVDs", "how do I copy DVDs", "how do I
> install emule", "how can I download MP3s", etc...

Oh its definitely an issue, I actually forgot to make a comment about that
one.  Take Fedora for example - with those same issues, anyone making a post
in regards to those issues is told to seek out a legal page noting all the
media materials that pose legal problems, and workarounds (ie: using ogg over
mp3).

Now, I think we're also missing something - relicensing. I can't remember the
name of the company, but isn't there some effort out there working on
relicensing media players (binary only packages once released), with the
source still under the GPL? This would negate the issue of legal concerns,
though I honestly don't remember whats going on with the company.

However, I think there are enough resources out there for media-oriented
issues, and that (imho) would remain the place for non-official SUSE forums.

Joseph M. Gaffney
aka CuCullin