Frank Sundermeyer wrote:
On Monday 19 March 2007 13:45, Basil Chupin wrote:

Hi Basil,

The manual seems to indicate that once the password for the root has
been fed into the system during installation then it cannot be
changed by any means.

as one of the documentation guys at SUSE I would be interested in what manual and chapter you are referring to.
Suse 9.2 Pro Manual, p32, last 2 sentences of last para on that page, "Do not forget the root password. Once entered, this password cannot be retrieved."

I interpreted that the way I spelt it out in my original post. Once in, nothing can be done about it.

But my interpretation is wrong 'cause using passwd will change it <g>.

Cheers.

--
Trust, once lost, cannot be regained.