The Monday 2007-04-02 at 03:27 +0200, Hudibras wrote:

> > > Thank you, indeed. But this is not the case. Files are mp3, jpg, avi,
> > > mpg, wmv, html, only certain links in my konqueror bookmarks, and all my
> > > Tellico databases of music. Does it not sound to any backdoor or
> > > similar???? I'm very sorry to point it out, but ...
>
> Hi, Carlos. I would like to express myself in Spanish, so that my
> problem would be better explained, because my English is bad.
> Well, said this, I go there.

No problem. You express yourself clearly enough. There are many people
here for which English is not the first language (idioma nativo), me
included and we are used to "fuzzy" English, so 99% of people here are
very tolerant with _that_ ;-)

    I'll tell you an anecdote. A physics teacher told me once that if when
    writing an exam I could not express myself in English, I could do it
    in Spanish (he doesn't know a word of Spanish). He said he was
    examining me on Physics, not English.

    It's an anecdote I cherish, and tells a lot about character and
    tolerance... I don't think a Spanish teacher would ever do that.

So go ahead and write! :-)

> > I have no idea what a "Tellico databases" is.
>
> Tellico is an application for KDE managing CD or books, in a "database
> way". I assure you it's really a pity for me something like this occurs.

Ok. I say that because as I don't know what it does and how, I can not
even guess what the problem with tellico could be. My own books database
uses mysql.

What I and the rest can assure you is that there is no intentional
misbehaving in suse linux that could cause a disaster like yours. I can
very well imagine your distress. We can only make guesses, but we can not
know what happened.

What we do know is an old admin maxim: «The question is not whether I will
loose some data. The question is /when/ will I loose that data.» It is
just a question of time, we will have a disaster of some kind or another,
big, small, random, intentional, accidental... who knows.

Libraries get on fire, like the old one at Alexandria. Irretrievable
manuscripts were lost for ever.

So we can prepare and do backups... that's the only thing. They are far
easier to do now than they were two thousand years ago. I was hit by a big
data loss disaster recently, so I learned - I hope. (el herrero con
cuchara de palo). I will be hit again some time. So will you. This is
life.

(some comments)

> But seen some comments here, I'm going to stop this flame (hey, this is
> the word, isn't it?)

Yep.

> If I would have
> prooves (or proofs? sorry!) it would hurt me, indeed.

Proofs. The other one is a verb, misspelled ;-)

> Pleased to find you out here again, and thank you all.

Welcome!

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.