On Tuesday 10 April 2007 12:03:13 am M Harris wrote:
> On Monday 09 April 2007 16:31, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > If you're new to Unix/Linux, and you don't actually _need_VI, then use
> > something friendly like MC, or pico, or joe.  There's a whole text-book
> > on VI, and this is not a user-friendly thing, and neither is EMACS, altho
> > the old Unix hands will tell you it's the only way.  It's not.  If you
> > never expect to use a real Unix system, fageddaboudit!
> >
> > (I've probably started a flame war here, but if you investigate for
> > yourself, you'll find that I'm right.)
> >
> > --doug
>
>       Well... I'm just incensed here...   :-P
>
>       ... first off, if you're new to unix, the very first thing you *must*
> learn is vi, period, end of story.

No, the first thing a Linux *newbie* needs to learn is to get out of vi in
case he becomes trapped.  And that would be: [Esc]:q!

For editing stuff as root from the user desktop: [Alt+F2] kdesu kate

I hate it when people creep out newbies with vi and such.  Maybe it will come
down to those if necessity ever arises, but not at the beginning, certainly
not as a newbie.