Sunny wrote:
> Not exactly, there are good HDTV cards, which work for off the air
> signals. And for cable, you should request, and your cable company
> have to deliver a cable box with firewire output. They are required so
> by an FCC ruling. Usualy they do not, but after I insisted at Comacast
> office, they exchanged mine.

It just seems from reading the mythtv list like firewire is difficult to
get going and unreliable.  A lot of people also seem to have problems
getting their cable provider to give them a box with a firewire port, or
they get one and find out all the channels are encrypted anyway.  My
experiences with Comcast's technical support in my area does not give me
a warm fuzzy feeling that they will be helpful, or even know what I'm
talking about.

My gut feeling is that this is not by accident, that the cable companies
want to charge for their DVR solutions and the media providers don't
want people being able to time-shift and skip commercials.  I generally
don't have good feelings about this switch to digital.  I don't think
it's primarily intended to benefit consumers.

I also don't think over-the-air is likely to be a workable solution for
me.  I live in an apartment, down in a valley.  I never had much luck
getting a workable analog picture with an indoor antenna, so I think
digital is probably out of the question.