Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> OK, people I understood your points.
>
> 1. Some seems to have preference for mailing-lists, some others
> (including me) have preference for PHPbb Forums.
>
> 2. I really liked the idea that we already have a webForum
> representation of mailing-lists, but the current Forum is really
> noobish and non-intuitive, which pushes me to the next idea:
>
> 3. Is it possible to build it the other way around, with PHPbb forum
> being the primary interface with mailing-list representation as
> secondary interface ?
>
> In particular:
> 3. a. does current version of PHPbb supports mailing-lists ?
> or
> 3.b. Will it be difficult to add mailing-list support to PHPbb Forum ?

The first question you might want to anwswer is:

- what additional value do I get for using a forum compared to the mailing
list?

Currently I don't see any reason to use it in my situation:

- I get several hundred emails from mailinglists each day, it only takes a
very small time for me to parse them to read the interesting ones. No
waiting for a busy server.

- Answering emails is also very comfortable for me with the mailclient of
my choice.

- I have set up my own server including a cyrus imap server, that is
(fulltext) indexing the entire mail archive on my server, so any search is
blinding fast.

Logging in from work on my servers at home is no problem, so I can access
my mails from everywhere.

So, what would I gain from using a forum? I don't think I would gain anything.

What might offer an additional value is an archive of tested solutions to
problems, something like a how-to-solve-problems-wiki. That could be
refered to on the mailing list to answer problems quickly and decisively.
Though it still wouldn't be a forum.

--
Sandy

List replies only please!